Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA): Case Study
The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) collects monthly data from real-estate boards across Canada related to real estate transactions. CREA uses this data to release monthly reports on property sales, as well as quarterly data on active listings.
CREA is using the Perspective product suite to facilitate these monthly reporting requirements.
- Individual real estate boards collect and provide data in slightly different ways and must be standardized in the solution
- CREA’s use of a SAS system to collect data from the boards requires a substantial transformation process
- Each board uses a unique classification scheme for property types
- Quarterly stock data (properties on the market) needs to be brought together with monthly flow data (transactions) to provide meaningful information.
Beyond 20/20 Solution:
- CREA’s economists use Beyond 20/20 Perspective software to view data and generate monthly and quarterly reports
- A large transformation table in Beyond 20/20 Perspective accommodates the nuances between how different real estate boards use three main codes
- A national classification scheme is augmented by unique schemes for boards with differing property classifications
In the future, the solution will make the real-estate data available to individual associations as well as to real estate agents and the public.